Sunday, June 3, 2012

Why I Can't Be A Vegan (despite PETA)

Don't get me wrong, I think PETA has great recipes and do it yourself projects. But, I'm not convinced being a vegan is the healthiest choice for me. I read. Sometimes I think I read and research too much. See, many soy products are actually GMO. That isn't healthy. Plus, it's hard to find tasty, soy free, gluten free recipes and cookbooks. Call me lazy, but I don't want to invent it myself. I know how to get nutrients from a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts. That isn't my problem.

I don't believe in fake meat. Seriously, it's chemicals that making that soy taste like chicken and beef..I see that as a gateway product that would turn me back to eating the real thing instead of being a gateway to less meat. I think back to when my brother became a vegetarian in the early 1990s. It was healthier back then because Monsanto wasn't as big and there weren't as many cage free, open pasture, less cruel and less unhealthy alternatives to buying meat. We didn't have trader joes, whole foods, etc where we grew up. So I supported and still support his decision as a teenager.

I say go big or go home. It takes dedication that I just don't have. I go meatless a few days out of the week. I don't want to be a veyo ( yo yo vegan) or yotarian (my term for yo yo vegetarian). I don't believe in seafood vegetarians either...fish is meat. Duh. So for now I'm an omnivore lite who applauds those with the willpower and conviction to make the jump.

Out of curiosity, what made you take the final leap or keeps you from doing it?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment