Friday, July 29, 2011

Where Should I Invest? Putting my money into the mouths of startups

This November marks the 30th anniversary of my very first open heart surgery.  At age 2, I had a partial correction of a congenital heart defect.  In honor of this momentous occasion, I decided to become a year-long philanthropist.  Well....a mini one.  Each month, I will invest $30 dollars into a US-based start up, small business or micro-enterprise using sites like Kiva, MicroPlace, KickStarter, IndieGoGo and 33Needs.

For August, I've decided to choose between 5 companies that caught my fancy, 1 from each site.

Here's My Chance

Creating an interactive, video chat based fundraising tool
Diane
A woman who after brain surgery has created a fashion line 
Secret Science Club
Hosts live science events for the public
50 for 50 
A woman celebrating her 50th birthday by donating $50,000 in 50 days to WriteGirl, an LA nonprofit that benefits girls.
Accion Texas
Invests in minority entrepreneurs in Texas.

Where should I invest? Click here to vote!


No comments:

Post a Comment